Housing Disrepair

What is Housing Disrepair?

According to the Housing Law, your landlord is required to keep your home in a safe, habitable condition. Under Section 11 of The Landlord Tenant Act of 1985, if your landlord does not help maintain your property, you could be eligible to make a claim. All tenants, if you rent through a private Landlord, Housing Association or Local Council could be entitled.

What Responsibilities Does Your Landlord Have?

Every landlord that rents out a residential property in the UK has strict responsibilities in terms of what they must maintain, and how well. In case a landlord fails to fulfil these responsibilities, the tenant has a reason to claim for housing disrepair damages. The following are some of the things that the landlord is obliged to maintain and/or repair:

Any exterior damage to the property, walls, windows and the roof.
All plumbing which includes baths, sinks, toilets and drains must be maintained. This also includes the fresh water system.
Maintaining and repairing gas appliances like heaters and cookers.
The maintenance of the hot water system which includes the boiler and any radiators .
The Landlord must also ensure all the electricity in the house is safe and working well.

There are several areas in which a tenants can make a Housing Disrepair claim. Below are some of the following:

Personal items: If the Landlord fails to maintain certain aspects of the house and any personal items get damaged, you could be eligible to make a claim.
Fittings & furnishings: If items such as paintings, lamps, and furniture are damaged due to your Landlords neglect you could make a claim.
Other items: If your landlord did not perform necessary maintenance you can also claim for items such as destroyed bedding, clothing etc.

If you believe your Landlord is not maintaining your property, fill in the below form and one of our Housing Experts will call you back and review this for you.

Our Simple Claims Process

Get in Touch
There are many ways you can get in touch with us to start your claim. You can call us, email us, or send us a message via our website.
Review Your Claim
Our expert team of solicitors will review your case and let you know if you have a claim.
Start Claim Process
We will then start acting on your behalf and send a letter of claim to the defendant to start the legal process.
Wait for Your Outcome
We will keep you informed on the progress of your claim and if successful let you know.

Housing Disrepair Claim

Complete the form today to find out if you have a viable claim and if High Street Solicitors can help you, alternatively feel free to contact us on 0151 243 6700.

    We will contact you as soon as possible